Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Squat and Lunges

Two more moves that can be done, with great care, while one is pregnant are:

  • Squat
  • Lunges

(Honestly, I hate them. But they really do work wonders… But that does not mean I have to love them. I still hate them. I complain every time Mr. Trainer asked me to do it. The more he knows I hate them, the more he ask me to do them.)

Why do I say “WITH GREAT CARE”? Because, as you grow into your pregnancy, your balance and equilibrium are challenged. If you were not exercising frequently before, and do movement that increase your ability to balance and increase your muscle strength, you will wobble when you perform these two movement.

I am happy to say that my balance is still good at 34 weeks of pregnancy. I can stand on one feet, and I can still do the yoga tree pose! Yeay for me!

tree

To help with balance, while doing squat, you could hold on to the back of a chair, or if you are really a beginner, support your back by standing against the wall. Make sure you have chairs on your right and left side to hold on to, just in case.

squat

When doing squat make sure your knees are bent at 90 degrees angle. Do not let your knee to move further from your toes. Go as low as you can. As much as you can, keep your back straight, that’s why having a wall behind you is easier. Otherwise, let your body bend forward only slightly. I find putting my arms at 45 degrees angle helps to better position my torso as well as balancing. You might want to try that. For extra resistance, hold on to a pair of light dumb-bells.

Lunges is more of a challenge as you get heavier. Use support if you are not sure of your balancing ability. Seriously. Use it.

lunges

Although this movement looks simpler than squat, trust me it’s not. Again, be careful not to over-extend your front knee. Make sure it is at 90 degrees angle. If you cannot bend as low, it’s okay, just go to the maximum you can. As you progress, you will in time, improve. 

So, these are some of the moves that I do to keep my legs strong, and hopefully to ensure my thighs do not enlarge more than they need to! I have big task in front of me once I finished my confinement next year. My target is to lose all my pregnancy weight within three months and go back to my pre-wedding weight (between 55kg – 58kg) in three months after that.

I know I have to be patient. It takes me 9 months to complete the full pregnancy weight gain, so it’ll take me as much to lose them. But I can speed it up with good diet and consistent exercise. I must.

No comments:

Post a Comment