Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Counting calories is no human instinct..

Nope.

If there were any cave woman who actually counted calories, please do tell me, because I need to know.

Since I started gym, I have been getting these sudden cravings for stuff that I used to have everyday, without even thinking about the repercussion of what it might do to my body.

Things like this sinfully delicious steamed Hainanese Chicken Rice.


I grew up loving food. My family is a mix of both spicy Malay and Chinese food. I love my spices as much as I love my garlic.

I had to cook an entire meal at dinner because my Mum used to work and only came home after 7 pm. Rice is a staple dish that we had and on days when I wouldn't feel like cooking, I would walk down to the chicken rice stall and bought packed rice for my siblings.

My Grandma was possibly one of the best cook I knew. As a child, I remembered going over to her 'warung', where she would pick me up to sit on her counter, and almost always, my grandparents would make sure I have my drumstick. Huge, greasy... yeap... I was a happy fat kid. (I think).

Rice is somewhat my comfort food. When I was working in the pressure cooker of a profession a few years ago, I sought solace in food.

When I first moved to KL, intense training had me eating rice for lunch and dinner. Also I was living with my auntie, who is a great cook and saying no to her cooking would be, I guess at that time, sheer madness.

Afterall, would you say no to steamed rice and the fattening glory of 'ayam masak lemak cili padi'?

This was me, a couple of years ago, I was the one in the purple sweater :


I looked like I have had 6 kids.

So you can't blame me for counting calories now. After losing all the KGs and have defiantly fought all odds, this would be the last time you would see me looking like a mess.

True enough.. this is what I look like, now, lighter, saner, albeit, healthier :



So, I might have the Hainanese steamed chicken, without the skin, with glass noodles and loads of salad and having it with green tea.

Life is unfair... face it. However, it is unfair because it was trying to be fair.

Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment